What is Breast Augmentation?
Rhinoplasty is a type of plastic surgery that changes the size, shape, and structure of your nose.
Commonly called a Nose Job, the surgical procedure can reduce a prominent bump, narrow a wide tip, straighten a crooked bridge, or make your nose more proportional to the rest of your facial features. It can also help you breathe more easily.
WHAT IS BREAST AUGMENTATION SURGERY FOR?
Breast augmentation is a cosmetic surgery that people choose to undergo for a variety of reasons. For example, breast implants may increase self-esteem in women concerned about their breast size and shape. Breast augmentation, or augmentation mammoplasty, is a procedure designed to improve the size, shape, or the projection and contour of the chest on women or men. Depending on how you want your breasts to look, breast augmentation surgery can involve adding volume to the breasts with breast implants (usually silicone implants or saline implants), reshaping the breast, removing excess skin, and even raising the nipple and areola into a different position. For women experiencing significant sagging of the breasts, mastopexy (known as a breast lift) can also be performed. Reduction mammoplasty surgery is another augmentation procedure available for women looking to reduce the size of their breasts.
For many women, pregnancy, breastfeeding, and ageing can contribute to a loss of breast volume. In some case, a woman’s body will naturally deposit fatty tissue to replace this volume loss. This volume loss can cause the breast to look deflated. However, breast implants can be used to restore the loss of breast tissue. While breast implants are typically filled with either sterile saline or silicone gel, there are several types of implants available.
- Saline breast implants are filled with a sterile saline solution, or salt water. Saline implants are usually empty upon insertion into the breast and are filled once in place.
- Structured saline breast implants are, again, filled with sterile salt water, as well as an additional inner structure to give the implant a more natural feel.
- Silicone breast implants are filled with a silicone gel, which gives the implant feel more like natural breast tissue. Silicone gel implants are pre-filled with gel.
- Gummy bear breast implants, or form-stable implants, are so named because they are able to maintain their shape even in the event that the implant shell breaks. These implants are filled with a silicone gel that is slightly thicker than that found in traditional silicone implants.
- Round breast implants are used as they tend to give the breasts a fuller appearance than form-stable implants.
- Smooth breast implants have the softest feel and can move with the breast implant pocket. This may allow for more natural movement and therefore natural looking breasts.
- Textured breast implants are used to make the implants less likely to move around within the breast. This is accomplished through the development of scar tissue around the implant which holds the textured implants in place.
Consult with your surgeon to determine the types of saline and silicone breast implants that may be right for you.
Who is a candidate for Breast Augmentation?
Before booking your breast augmentation procedure, you need to schedule a consultation with our board certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Brandon Kallman is certified under the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is an active member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. During this initial consultation, Dr. Kallman will help determine whether you are an ideal candidate for the procedure. This is determined by the following:
- Your skin quality, such as elasticity.
- The quantity and quality of breast tissue.
- The current size, shape, and placement of your breasts.
- The desired size and shape of your breasts.
- The placement of your nipples.
- Whether you are pregnant.
- Whether you are currently dieting, on a weight loss regiment, or plan to lose weight.
- Your complete medical history, including past surgeries, family history of cancer (especially breast cancer), drug allergies, and additional medical conditions.
During the consultation, Dr. Kallman will examine and measure your breasts to keep on file in your medical record, as well as photograph, to help him determine the best course of action for your individual needs. Based on your consultation, Dr. Kallman will discuss the different types of breast implants and determine the potential type of implants (e.g., silicone implants, saline implants, etc.) that may be right for you.
How is the Breast Augmentation procedure performed?
The surgical procedure for breast augmentation begins by administering general anesthesia to the patient. This means the patient will be asleep for the entire procedure. Next, your surgeon will make very small, carefully placed incisions located in areas where scars can be easily concealed. The incision will occur in one of three places depending on the individual: (1) infra-mammary, which is located in the fold under the breast, (2) trans-axillary, which is located in the armpit, or (3) peri-areaolar, which occurs around the areola. The incision location will be determined during your consultation with your surgeon.
Upon making the incision, your surgeon will create a small pocket of space at the incision site where the breast implant will be inserted. If using saline filled implants, the implants will be filled with saline after insertion. Conversely, silicone implants will be filled with silicone gel before insertion.
The implant will be inserted either under the chest muscle (subpectoral or submuscular) or over the chest muscle (submammary or subglandular). It should be noted that submuscular implants placed below the chest muscle involves a more painful recovery since this insertion location requires that the chest muscle be surgically released from the chest and ribs in order to stretch the muscle over the implant. Again, the location of the implant placement will be determined during your consultation with Dr. Kallman, our board certified plastic surgeon.
After the implant is inserted and your surgeon has ensured the breasts are symmetrical, the incisions will be closed with dissolving stitches. While the entire operation typically takes an hour or two, you may need to stay an additional two or three hours following surgery to ensure the effects of the anesthesia have worn off. In addition, make sure a family member or close friend is able to drive you home due to the effects of the anesthesia.
Before & After Gallery
As a practice, we believe the proof is in the results, and our patients have similar thoughts! Take a look through our before and after gallery
First Class Breast Augmentation in Miami
Board Certified Surgeon in Miami
Face Miami’s very own Dr. Kallman specializes in Aesthetic Surgical procedures. These include Rhinoplasty, facial rejuvenation, eyelid and eyebrow lift surgeries, fat transfers and more. Watch the video to learn more!
Dr. Kallman is Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He re-certified his Plastic Surgery Board Certification in April 2005 and 2015- one of the first doctors in South Florida with this recertification.
An active member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, and The Greater Miami Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons, he’s in an elite class.
Because of this wealth of knowledge and passion for cosmetic surgery, he has lectured extensively around the world- particularly on the intricacies of primary and secondary rhinoplasty.
An avid researcher, he continues to study innovations in lip augmentation, Brow Lifts, state of the art Blepharoplasty, fat transfer surgery, breast surgery, nasal reconstruction, and anti-aging therapeutics.
Breast Augmentation Recovery & Patient Care
Breast augmentation surgery is considered to be an outpatient surgery. This means candidates are usually able to go home the same day as the procedure. General anesthesia is typically used for this surgery. The length of the surgery is around 2 hours, although this may differ across patients. Initial swelling typically resolves within a few days post-surgery. However, residual swelling may take a few weeks to a month to fully disappear. Patients are usually able to return to work approximately three to seven days following the surgery. Patients should avoid more strenuous activities for approximately two to three weeks post-surgery. However, it should be noted that it can take six to eight weeks for breast implants to fully descend to the desired position. To ensure your recovery is comfortable and breast pain is minimal, many women benefit from wearing a support bra or an upper pole bandeau trap for a short period following the surgery. In addition, a follow-up appointment will be scheduled within a few days after the surgery. Your doctor will be able to check that your body is healing effectively and can then address any questions or concerns you may have about the recovery process.
Risks and Side Effects
There are some risks associated with breast augmentation surgery. These include:
- Temporary breast pain and swelling, especially near the incision.
- Mild bruising.
- Bleeding of the incision location.
- Implant failure including improper placement and rupture. Different types of breast implants may determine the severity of an implant rupture. For example, saline filled implants that leak are not as harmful to the body as silicone gel filled implants may be.
- Capsular Contracture, or scarring around the implant.
- Anaplastic large cell lymphoma is a rare type of non-Hodgkin lymphoma that can develop in the scar tissue around a breast implant. This extremely rare condition is known as breast implant associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma.
Alternative To Breast Implant Surgery
If you are hesitant about undergoing plastic surgery, receiving breast implants, or other forms of breast augmentation, there are other treatment options available for you.
- A breast lift, or mastoplexy, is a surgical procedure to treat sagging breasts. This cosmetic surgery involves removing excess skin followed by tightening the remaining tissue.
- Fat transfer breast enhancement is a minimally invasive procedure that involves removal of natural fat – usually from the patient’s stomach or thighs – and the transfer of this fat into the breasts. No needles, incisions, stitches, or general anesthesia are required. This procedure is ideal for woman wanting to increase their breast size by one cup size.
- Aptos threading is a non-surgical procedure that uses implanted threads to physically move the skin around your breasts towards the collar bone. Results of this procedure typically last up to two years.
- The Caci bust treatment involves the use of a handheld device to send focused electrical pulses to the muscles surrounding your breasts in order to help tone the chest muscles. This procedure helps to lift and smooth your breasts. Results are dependent on session duration and frequency.
- Thermage is a procedure that uses radio waves to stimulate collagen production in order to tighten the protein fibers in your skin.
- Dermal fillers are a type of injection used to stimulate collagen production in the breasts. Not all dermal fillers are FDA-approved for use in the breasts, so it is important to do your research before agreeing to this type of treatment.
- A vampire breast lift (VBL) is an anti-aging procedure performed by dermatologic or cosmetic surgeons. VBL uses platelet-rich plasma from the patient’s blood to increase blood circulation and reduce wrinkles and scars.
Please note some of the above procedures are not recommended for women who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or who have a history of breast cancer.
How long do the results of Breast Augmentation last?
In the past, plastic surgeons have recommended replacing breast implants about every 10 years. However, implants have become much safer and more durable. This means that, if you are happy with the look and feel of your implants, they need not be changed. Nonetheless, breast implants are not meant for an entire lifetime and replacement will likely occur at some point. It is therefore strongly recommended to attend routine follow-ups with your plastic surgeon every one to two years to determine if replacement is necessary.
Are you considering breast augmentation? Schedule your consultation for breast augmentation in Miami today!
SKILL & EXPERIENCE
Call the office in Miami Fl today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Kallman come see what the possibilities are
Dr. Brandon Kallman,
Miami's Best Rhinoplasty Surgeon
Face Miami’s Dr. Brandon Kallman, MD. is Miami’s best rhinoplasty surgeon. He brings over 27 years of experience as an Aesthetic, Cosmetic, and Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon to his prestigious practice. Miami men and women trust his extensive expertise in a diverse range of facial cosmetic procedures, and he’s renowned as a rhinoplasty specialist.
When choosing a board certified surgeon, it is important to select a doctor with skill and experience. Dr. Brandon Kallman is rated 5 stars on Ratemd, Healthgrade, Vitals, and Real Self, can help you create a result that fits in with your other features and looks natural. He can also help you understand the benefits and limitations of your chosen procedure, so that you can Make The Decision That Is Right For You.